Sunday 13 March 2011

A Spooky Discovery



I had a little bit of a surprise last Saturday morning, as Mrs L and I were walking to the bus stop, around the corner from our flat. I happened to glance to my left as we were walking past a gate, having never been curious about it before, and happened to see a few stone steps leading up to a couple of gravestones sticking up from the ground. For the first time in the five years we've been living in Eccles, I saw this graveyard that neither of us had ever noticed before!

I must have walked and driven past it literally a thousand times and never noticed it before. I can only guess that it must have been the yard of a now long gone church, possibly on the site the old folk's flats now occupy immediately next to the yard. A google search doesn't seem to turn up any info.

I've always been fascinated with graveyards, for as long as I can remember. Sadly the gate was padlocked and we couldn't have a nosy around.

So the moral of this little tale is, when you have time, and when it's safe to do so, take some time to have a REALLY good look round your neighbourhood. And chat to your neighbours too. Even if you've lived in the same area for even longer than we have lived in ours, you may be surprised (or shocked) at what you may discover!

1 comment:

  1. That would be ace for an Sandbox photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete