Thursday 3 March 2011

Better Late Than Never: My Albums of 2010

Yeah, I know, it's a bit late. But I feel like I can now reveal my top 10 list with a bit more clarity and less prejudice than if I had done it in the middle of December.

I'm not trying to earn any cool points here - I don't need approval from any chin-stroking hipster wankers.

Simply put, it's a list of the ten albums that I have enjoyed the most, and continue to enjoy, from last year:

1. Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms
The band I try to get all my friends to like. Luxurious and panoramic.
Fave track: On My Way Back Home

2. Josh Ritter - So Runs The World Away
If I were ever to use the word 'genius' in a non-ironic sense, I would use it to describe the music of Josh Ritter.
Fave track: Folk Bloodbath

3.Paul Weller - Wake Up The Nation
The man's got more guts, passion and originality than most people half his age. Astonishing.
Fave track: Find The Torch / Burn The Plans

4. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
Urgent, anthemic, thrilling.
Fave track: The Diamond Church Street Choir

5. Best Coast - Crazy For You
Takes me to a place that's warmer than Manchester. There are so many shitty sleeves out there, but this one is a work of art.
Fave track: Each And Every Day

6. Scissor Sisters - Night Work
I LOVE Scissor Sisters. Fuck all you indie cunts.
Fave track: Invisible Light

7. Eels - Tomorrow Morning
Less direct, more synthesised, but as always, still honest and beautiful.
Fave track: Oh So Lovely

8. I Am Kloot - Sky At Night
In a word, gorgeous.
Fave track: Proof

9. Teenage Fanclub - Shadows
If you don't know this band, I feel sorry for you.
Fave track: Baby Lee

10. Edwyn Collins - Losing Sleep
An inspirational story, and an inspirational man. Welcome back Edwyn Collins.
Fave track: I Still Believe In You

Honourable mentions must also go to:

Neil Young - Le Noise
Weezer - Hurley
Manic Street Preachers - Postcards From A Young Man
Robert Plant - Band of Joy
Daft Punk - Tron: Legacy Original Soundtrack
Cee Lo Green - The Ladykiller

PS. If anyone's wondering, I like to pretend Arcade Fire stopped making music after Funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment