Sunday 2 May 2010

The trouble with opinions presented as fact

Spin magazine over the pond has recently published a list of 'the 125 most influential albums of the last 25 years', with U2's mega epic 'Achtung Baby' at number 1. Apparently the list was compiled by their editors. Whilst there are some very good albums on the list, presenting a few hacks' opinions as some kind of definitive statement on the state of modern music is a little pointless, borderline counterproductive, and potentially harmful.

On a personal level, I love 'Achtung Baby' - it's probably my favourite U2 album. But I have a problem with these kind of lists, whether voted for by the public or by the self appointed taste makers who write for the music press. There's no point. And how can it be possible to conclusively prove what is the best, or most influential, album on a purely objective basis? It can't be done. Every music review ever written has been written from a subjective viewpoint, basically it boils down to whether or not the reviewer likes it, and therefore whether or not he or she wants you to like it. A well written review can be a very useful guide to help inform your decision to investigate an artist further, but should never be held up as a beacon, and must never be a substitute for your own eyes and ears.

Over the course of my life, I've been influenced by a few of the usual 'influential' albums, but if I see 'OK Computer' anywhere near the top of any of these lists again, then I won't be legally responsible for what happens afterwards! That's what makes me a beautiful, individual, potentially insane human being.

If you know your own mind, you won't like being told what you should have been listening to all your life. I know I don't.

Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody's got one, and most of 'em stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment