Saturday 29 May 2010

Band of Horses = Band of Awesome

I heart Band of Horses. Thanks mostly to my friend Carolina, I was introduced to their second album 'Cease to Begin' a couple of years ago (I missed out on its predecessor, I was a little slow to catch on). It's awesome. Singer Ben Bridwell reminds me of Neil Young but without the out of tune bits, and there are some beautiful guitar sounds ranging from wide and epic to intimate and cosy, accompanied by simple yet effective, and often moving, lyrics, beautifully delivered. The playful country stomp of 'The General Specific' perfectly compliments the rocky 'Ode to LRC'. It's a perfect album that leaves the listener wanting more, it never outstays its welcome. I love it. You know how you have a band that you want all your friends to listen to? Well for me, Band of Horses are THAT band.

I've been listening to their new album, 'Infinite Arms', and it's a belter. The production is grander, but without making its predecessor feel inferior. Opening song 'Factory' is a string drenched tale of life on the road, and looking forward to coming home. The rest of the album is full of great moments, with a classic West Coast feel to it. Go get it. And the first two albums as well. I guarantee that if you have any taste at all, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment